Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Is It Safe To Come Out, Yet?

The North End seems to have weathered Tropical Storm (now Tropical Depression) Katrina and come out unscathed. Only some small fallen limbs I saw laying around the neighborhood on my drive-about this morning. Not enough rain to indicate flooding beyond those run-off problem points we have every rain.

At 3:00 a.m. this morning the cable signal cut out on the televisions. I put on my rain gear and went outside for a while. Wind was gusting impressively and every once in a while I would hear a high-pitched whining like a combination of a car that needed its belts replaced and a siren. It was kind of eerie to hear, and nothing I have encountered in Salemtown makes a noise like that. Rain seemed to swirl dust-devilishly on top of the pavement and street signs swivelled and rocked back and forth during the strongest gusts. Clouds were barreling across the sky southeast-to-northwest in a matter of seconds.

If anybody else knows of any damage in the neighborhood, please weigh in.

No comments:

Post a Comment