Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Pundits Wrong about Palin

In the same fashion that they excused George W. Bush in 2000, the media seems to me to be willing to cut Sarah Palin slack and instead blame her sinking poll numbers on the "way she was handled" by the McCain campaign. That's the standard line I've heard over and over again on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. I can't fathom such misguided acts of charity when Palin makes it readily apparent that just opening her mouth is itself an act fraught with strategic campaign risks. No degree of "handling" (which seems a somewhat sexist idea) can mitigate that risk.

The media keeps wanting to see a brighter future for Palin free from the McCain campaign, but I don't see it. And I cannot tell whether they are being authentic in that belief or they are merely airbrushing her image to increase the chances that they will be able to use her in the spotlight again in the future in their never ending quest to generate spectacle.

A more knowledgeable person than I sees Sarah Palin as even more undeserving than Dubya:
The conventional wisdom seems to be that only the conservative 'intellectuals' have a beef with Palin. But I'm pretty sure the post-election view is going to seem very different. The chatter out of the McCain campaign only confirms what her two months on the public stage has made painfully clear. Palin wasn't simply unprepared for intense scrutiny of a national campaign. The woman is an ignoramus of almost unprecedented magnitude in the annals of national politics. It's not just that virtually every-non-Republican has a negative view of her. I just don't see a national party getting behind someone like that. And before you snark, "What about George Bush?" Sorry but there's no comparison. Whatever else I think of him, he's not a moron. And while he appears to be astoundingly incurious, there's simply no comparison to Palin.
Does Sarah Palin have a future in politics? I doubt it. But I do not doubt the ability of the media and the bottom feeders of the GOP dregs to fabricate a future for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment